Proud Ground provides affordable homebuying opportunities for first-time homebuyers with moderate incomes. We’re able to do this through funding made available from different government agencies in the Portland Metropolitan Region. Find out more about current and recent homes for sale here.
Homebuying can be complex, and homeownership through Proud Ground is a little different from traditional homeownership. We’ll work with you every step of the way to ensure you understand not only the steps of buying a home, but the ins and outs of our program.
Do you qualify?
Proud Ground only serves income-qualified, first-time homebuyers, so your first step is to find out if you qualify for our program. If you qualify, the next step is to register for a free, one-hour, homebuyer Information Session.
- This class is the first, required step to participate in our program. Check the registration page often to make sure you find out when registration for the next Information Session opens. Please note that due to the limited number of homebuying opportunities available and the large number of households already registered for our homebuyer wait list, we can only offer a limited number of Information Sessions at this time.
- While you’re waiting for the Information Session, here are things you can do to get ready for homeownership.
- Why aren’t there more affordable homebuying opportunities? Learn more here.
Ready to move forward?
If you decide to move forward with our program after attending the homebuyer information session, you will be given a program application ($25 application fee) with a list of what you’ll need to provide to us in order to take the next step.
Meet with a Proud Ground Homeownership Education Counselor.
- After you submit your application and other required documents and materials, we will contact you to schedule an appointment with a Proud Ground homeownership education counselor.
- Please note that due to the large number of households already on our homebuyer wait list, it could be a few months before your first appointment. In the meantime, you should work on other ways to get ready for homeownership.
- When you meet with a counselor we will go over all of the details of our program and we will work with you to make a home buying plan.
- We will also connect you with other resources in our community that can help you save for a down payment and get your finances in order.
Take a Homebuyer 101 class.
At some point you need to attend an all-day home buyer education class, this is a requirement to buy a Proud Ground home. Fees for the class range from $25 to $70. This class is offered through several agencies in the area.
Watch your email!
Once you are registered for our homebuyer wait list you will be notified about all available homebuying opportunities; this usually is done through email. When you see a home you like it is important to quickly and thoroughly follow the steps included with the homebuying opportunity—homes go fast.
You’re a homebuyer!
Once you are under contract to buy a home, you will meet with a homeownership counselor to go over the details of our program and make sure all of your paperwork is in order. You’ll also meet independently with an attorney to review all the documents, to make sure you REALLY understand everything. (we’ll help you find one).
Congratulations. you’re a homeowner!
The last step is to sign all the paperwork at closing (don’t worry, we’ll be there with you), wait for your closing to be official, then pick up the keys to your new home.